Supporting International New Arrivals in the Classroom
Audience: Teachers and teaching assistants (primary and secondary)
Presenters: Kathryn Chatwin, James Orme and Nicola Mahon – ACIS EAL Teachers
Description: A course for staff working with International New Arrivals
- This course focuses on supporting INA learning in the classroom through effective strategies and activities.
- It raises awareness of the diverse communities in Bolton, and provides an outline of how learners acquire English as an additional language.
- The course will also provide an overview of the NASSEA assessment toolkit that accompanies each INA on admission to school.
Objectives: By the end of this session you will:
• Have some practical strategies and activities you can use with INAs
• Have developed awareness of the many different cultures that make up our local school population
• Understand how EAL pupils learn English and learn through English
• Understand how to best support EAL learning in the classroom